First, let’s break your hot tub’s filter down to it’s main three components:
- The Media is often pleated and appears fabric-like. All spa water passes through and the filters media catches the debris. The material used to make the fabric is spun bound polyester, formed into a cloth-like material, which is then pleated.
- The Core is the internal structure of the filter which gives the filter strength from the force of the water flow.
- The End Caps are the plastic material at the end that keeps the integrity and attaches the filter to the plumbing of the spa. End caps all will have an opening, many have two, and many have a threaded end or a slip-like attachment. End Caps are typically blue.
It is common for manufactures to recommend replacing your filter every 6-12 months. Remember, dirty filters can void warranties through some manufacturers. It’s important to replace your filter if:
- The Media is ripped, bent or imploded
- The End Caps are cracked, brittle or discolored
The Quick Rinse (Weekly)
Remove the filters from your hot tub and give them a quick rinse with water. You can rinse them with a garden hose or in a sink. Be sure to spread apart each pleat and rinse well between them to get any dirt, hair, or other debris out. Once you have completed your rinse, allow the filter to dry before using in your hot tub.
You can purchase hose attachments that help make this process faster and more efficient.
The Chemical Rinse (Monthly)
We love SpaGuards Filter Cleaner, which comes in an easy to use spray bottle. Generously spray down each hot tub filter and let them sit for about 15 minutes. Then, rinse them down with clean water. NOTE: Make sure you rinse them down really good. Filter cleaners can cause a ton of foam in your tub when you put the filters back in.
The Chemical Soak (Every 3 Months)
You should change the water in your hot tub every three to four months. At this point you should also take the time to do a thorough cleaning of your filter.
Using a hot tub filter cleaning chemical, dilute the chemical with water according to the directions on the bottle. Make sure you use enough water to completely submerge one filter. If you have room, you can add more filters to the solution. Let the filter rest in the solution overnight or 24 hours. The next day, be sure to rinse the filters thoroughly with clean water. Again, you don’t want foamy hot tub water.
- Never use bleach, it will impact the life of your filter
- Avoid Household Cleaners, they can foam and impact your water chemistry
- Do not use the dishwasher. The cycle will impact the life of your filter and there’s nothing like a gooey filter being anywhere near your dishwasher…
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to equip your spa with a Salt Water generator. Does it still smell? Does the thing really work? Are there less chemicals involved? Lets break down the pros and the cons of owning a Bromine Salt Generator. Read more …
Does your hot tub cover stink? Smelly hot tub covers happen to most hot tub owners. There are easy ways to remedy the smell, but let’s first look at the common reasons as to why they even start. Read more …
A Bullfrog Spa is a great, energy efficient addition to your backyard oasis. Let’s take a look at what makes a Bullfrog Spa one of the best in the entire industry: Read more …
Let’s clear the air and talk about what our competition claims about Bullfrog JetPaks, and what factual evidence supports about them. Whether you’ve been shopping around for a Hot Tub, or have just started your Hot Tub buying journey, here’s the truth about our Bullfrog Spas w/ JetPaks: Read more …
- Family – Enjoy your hot tub as a family. A Bullfrog Spa can make communication easier along with spending quality time together!
- Sleep – Soaking for 20 minutes aids in the sleep process allowing you to fall asleep quicker and sleep deeper
- Massages– You have access to a massage any time you want, all year long with your personalized JetPaks from Bullfrog Spas.
- Muscle Relief- whether you’re a workout warrior or armchair quarterback you can relieve sore/tense muscles after a long day
- Pain Relief– Hot tubs are a proven way for relieving arthritis pain.
- Romance- whether it’s your long term partner or just impressing someone a hot tub can be a romantic getaway.
- Outdoors– Under the stars or an early morning soak are easy ways to enjoy the outdoors
- Get More Sunshine– during winter months you can improve your Vitamin-D deficiency by getting sunlight comfortably in the hot tub.
- Improved Health– According to some medical journals, hot tubs can decrease blood sugar levels and lower blood pressure
- Winter Party– Easy way to get outside and enjoy an evening with some friends while not freezing your tail off, winter is the favorite time of year for most hot tub users!
- At-Home Therapy– Access to warm water therapy at your own convenience.
- Workouts– You can stay in shape all year long regardless of weather, also helps in reducing cellulite
- Get Lean– Improve your entire body with lean muscle mass by soaking, could also help you lose 1 pound a week based on studies.
- Aromatherapy- Warm water with different scents can help ease your mind and stress.
- Kids Can Have Fun Too – Host a hot tub party for your kids and their friends, be the cool parent. Can also be a great way to teach children how to swim.
Your Bullfrog hot tub is ready to go and you’re probably a little baffled on how to chemically maintain your water. You’re not alone- there are a ton of choices on how to keep bacteria and contaminants out of your spa. Two of the most popular choices are chlorine and bromine. We’re here to help you decode the chlorine vs bromine system, regardless of what kind, brand or style hot tub you have. Read more …
Kamado is name for grill, or range- in fact, it’s the Japanese word for stove. These grills have a rich history, and even a Wikipedia page! All Kamado grills, regardless of brand, work off these principles: Read more …
Did you know that owning a hot tub not only enhances quality time with loved ones, but also has multiple health benefits? All too often Hot Tubs are referenced only as a luxury patio accent piece, but they provide much more than something to look at.
Here’s how a Bullfrog Spa may help improve your personal life: Read more …